Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelash growth serum "eyenvy" and breastfeeding/pregnancy

Hi there,

I was wondering about the use of eyelash growth serums while pregnant and breastfeeding.

There are many of these on the market, but one very popular one is called Eyenvy. Another popular one available by prescription is called Latisse. I've used it when I was not pregnant and it's extremely effective. I couldn't find good information anywhere.

These are the active ingredients of Eyenvy:
    Water (Aqua), Myristoyl Pentapeptide 17, Butylene Glycol, Dextran, Acetyl Tetrapeptide 3, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Glycerin, Panthenol, Sodium Citrate, Leuconostroc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Polysorbate 20, Gluconolactone, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Yeast Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Isoleucine, Proline, Threonine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Arctostaphylosa Uva-Ursi Leaf Extract, Magnisium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Sodium, Metabisulfite, Triethanolamine.

hollowzsuck,

The Latisse is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. The active ingredient is bimatoprost. The bimatoprost as an eye drop is used for open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension to reduce intaocular pressure. The eyelash serum is believed to increase eyelash growth because the eyelashes spend more time in the anagen- or growth phase of the hair growth cycle.

"No breastfeeding data are available. However, after intraocular administration, plasma levels peak at 10 minutes, then fall rapidly to undetectable levels within 1.5 hours. Combined with low plasma levels and high protein binding, it is unlikely this product would produce measurable levels in human milk." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

As an eyelash serum it should also have low plasma and milk levels as such a small amount is applied topically. This will probably be ok to use while nursing, but there is no data in pregnancy so we would recommend avoiding its use during that time.

As for the Eyenvy we cannot advise the safety because of all of the herbal ingredients.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X