X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilumya (tildrakizumab) and breastfeeding

Hello,
    i have a 6 week old who
    i breastfeed and I also have moderate to severe psoriasis. I have taken Humira and Stelara in the past and used them
    while breastfeeding my other children with no issues. Unfortunately, these had lost their effectiveness prior to this pregnancy and my doctor has suggested Ilumya. I know that there is limited data on this drug and I am hesitant. I do know that there are many others that are very similar in their function and how they work.
    Is there any insight you can give me on the safety(or complications) of using this while breastfeeding?

Kswag11:

You're right, we don't know much about this product in breastfeeding mothers. That said, it is a humanized IgG1/k monoclonal antibody, just like most all the dozens of other monoclonals. Almost all the rest of these products don't produce high levels in breastmilk, because they are large molecular weight IgG molecules. In addition, there's not a lot of evidence that they can survive in the gut of an infant due to the proteases present in the small intestine.

I can't tell you that its absolutely safe, but its not much different than what you've probably used in the past.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X