Safe skincare while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe skincare while breastfeeding

Hi! I have heard conflicting information regarding salicylic acid during breastfeeding and am now worried because I have been using it for the entire time I have breastfed my son (2 years). Can you please advise as to if I should use it and if not, what can be used in its place for acne? Like glycolic acid or lactic acid? Should I be worried since I used it this whole time?

Thank you so much!

Reidsmama:

Below is all we know about the TOPICAL use of salicylic acid products. If you use these products, I would keep them on the skin very long before washing off.

Salicylic acid,[1] is often used in anti-acne preparations, as well as in many wart and corn removal products. It produces desquamation of hyperkeratotic epithelium by dissolving the intercellular cement, thus leading to softening, maceration of the tissue, and ultimately desquamation. Concentrations vary, ranging from 0.5% to 60%, in gels, shampoos, ointments and creams. Salicylic acid acts as a keratolytic at concentrations of 3-6%, and above 6% becomes destructive. Systemic absorption depends on the concentration of the product used, the amount applied, the surface area treated, and duration of use. Absorption increases with the duration of use. The systemic absorption following topical administration has been found to range from 9.3 to 25.1%. Due to significant systemic absorption, prolonged use of topical salicylic acid should be used with some caution. Salicylic acid is not known to be associated with Reye syndrome in infants and children.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hydroquinone is not contraindicated during breastfeeding

Comment

Working...
      X