Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clomiphene and breastfeeding

Dear Sir or Madam,

I need to take clomiphene as I haven`t got a normal menstrual cycle yet after the birth of my first son 20 months ago. I probably have a hypothalamic-hypophysial malfunction, as I do not have a PCO-syndrome.
    We would like to have a second child soon, however my son strongly refused weaning. Do I have to stop breastfeeding completely for clomiphene? Or would it be ok to stop breastfeeding for the five days I have to take the clomiphene?
    I am a dermatologist and 37 years old.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Dr.

I usually recommend that mothers discontinue breastfeeding to undergo this kind of therapy, not because of the risk to the infant, but due to the difficulty of getting pregnant while breastfeeding. We don't really know if the act of breastfeeding delays or alters your ability to get pregnant, but it might. we don't know how much clomiphene enters milk, but some probably does. I doubt at this stage of lactation that it would bother your infant. But to possibly increase your ability to get pregnant, I'd stop breastfeeding for a while before therapy.

Tom Hale Ph.d.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have been prescribed a combination pill containing 0.02 mg Ethinylestradiol. Is it safe to continue breastfeeding a 24 months old son?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X