Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrocodone 5mg/325

Hi there,

I am currently exclusively breastfeeding my 8 week old and have been taking one 5mg hydrocodone for back pain per day sometimes 2 if it’s severe. I’m wondering how this may affect my baby if at all. I have never noticed any changes in his behavior (sedation, constipation, or fussiness). Sometimes I go 2-3 days without the medication and he never shows any “withdraw” symptoms nor do I. Am I safe to continue taking the medication and do I need to worry about my baby becoming dependent on it? He also will not take a bottle so I don’t wait more than an hour or two after taking the medication to breastfeed. I greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you

Skiingskittles,

Hydrocodone is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.2-3.7% of your dose. The peak time of this medication is about 1.3 hours, and the half-life is 3.8 hours. Hydrocodone at low doses is unlikely to cause withdrawal symptoms. We believe you can continue to nurse as long as your infant is not symptomatic. As you continue to nurse and take the medication if your infant did become dependent they will naturally wean as they get older as your milk supply slowly starts to decrease around 6 months of age as they begin eating other foods.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X