Use of medication following wisdom teeth removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of medication following wisdom teeth removal

Just got 2 of my wisdom teeth removed while under general anesthesia. I have been prescribed 600 MG Ibuprofen (to be taken every 6 hours) and Acetaminophen-Codeine #3 (to be taken every 4-6 hours). I have been getting mixed direction by the oral surgeon, pediatrician, and pharmacist on what is safe to take while breastfeeding. I was also prescribed Norco in case I experience intense pain (I know this is not recommended while nursing).I need to wait 24 hours following the anesthesia, but are the guidelines around the other pain relievers. If I do take them, how long should I wait before nursing?

I am concerned My stash will run out quickly if I have to stop nursing for more than a couple of days.

Let me know.

Thanks!

lewhitten,

Norco is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers is 2.2-3.7% of your dose. We recommend taking the medication right after you breastfeed and waiting 2- 4 hours to nurse (depending on your dose and age of your infant). Do not exceed 40mg in 24 hours. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, pallor, constipation and apnea.

Tylenol 3 is rated an L4-limited data-possibly hazardous. The amount that transfers is 0.6-8.1% of your dose. We recommend waiting at least 3 hours to nurse after a dose so you get to a half-life. Do not use more than 4 days. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, pallor, constipation and apnea.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

My infant is 2 months. Does change anything?

Comment

lewhitten,

Try to wait about 3 hours to nurse.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X