Breastfeeding and Benlysta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Benlysta

I will be induced between 36 and 38 weeks, 4 weeks after a dose of Benlysta. Would it be safe to breastfeed until my next infusion, and is it possibly safe to breastfeed after restarting Benlysta? I have Systemic Lupus and I am also on 10mg of prednisone that may be raised post delivery.

Kimdobbs,

Benlysta (belimumab) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. The baby is probably exposed to more in utero than in breast milk. "Due to its size and structure, its transfer into human milk will probably be exceedingly low. Although the molecular weight of this medication is very large and the amount in breastmilk is expected to be exceptionally low, there are no long term data concerning the safety of using immune modulating medications in breastfeeding mothers. Further there are current data that suggest that some IgG drugs do transfer into milk, and perhaps the breastfed infant. Therefore, some caution is recommended and each woman should understand the benefits and risk of using this type of medication in lactation." (Medications and Mothers' Milk Database, Dr Thomas Hale) We think the risk is low, but recommend monitoring your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, fever, frequent infections. As long as your infant is thriving, not sick all the time and is gaining weight it is probably ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X