relafen while bf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relafen while bf

I have neurogenic claudication and sciatic pain in both legs and low back pain and pain and numbness in my shoulder and arm. Relafen helped but had to stop while pregnant. Baby is 7 mos old, I am in a lot of pain and all my dr will give is ibuprofen. Thats like drinking water, it does nothing, what lactation level is Relafen?

Dear burpl_e,

Nabumetone (Relafen) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent that has a long half-life of 22 to 30 hours (takes this length of time for half of the drug to be eliminated from the body). It takes 5 half-lives for 98 percent of the drug to be eliminated. Medications with short half-lives are preferred during breastfeeding because the time the drug is in plasma is short & limits the amount available to enter into human milk. We do not have data on how much Relafen is secreted into breastmilk, but because of its long half-life, we prefer ketorolac or ibuprofen. The lactation category for Relafen is L3. Ketoralac is most concentrated at 30 minutes to 1 hour after the dose and has a half-life of 2 to 8 hours. Ketoralac is L2 and ibuprofen is L1. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X