Breastfeeding with Interferon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding with Interferon

I'm actually almost 7 months pregnant and have always thought that breastfeeding was the best gift for babies.
    I'm diagnosed with MS since 2004 with very few relapses and no symptoms since the very beggining of my pregnancy.
    I had stop taking Rebiff to get pregnant and my neuro wants me to start it again no more than 2 weeks following birth of the baby. He doesn't approve at all breastfeeding on Rebiff so wants me to stop as soon as I start medication.
    I'm a pharmacist and of all information I could gather it seemed relatively secure but with few proofs/studies. I found there has been a study by Dr Hale on interferon and mother's milk with very few patients (6) on Avonex.
    I'd like to know if there's any new information, especially about newborns (babies were 6 months and older in the study?).

Dear mymart,

There is no new information. From the study you cited, we know that the relative infant dose is 0.006 % of maternal dose. Because the interferons are large in molecular weight and have minimal oral absorption, their risk to the breastfeeding infant appears minimal. Interferons are relatively nontoxic unless extraordinarily large doses are administered parenterally. Interferons are sometimes used in infants and children to treat idiopathic thrombocytopenia (ITP) in huge doses. Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X