Breastfeeding on Tysabri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on Tysabri

Has any further research been done regarding Tysabri? My daughter is 5 weeks and I have been successfully breastfeeding her. Unfortunately I just had my postpartum visit to my neurologist and learned that I have 3 active lesions and my doctor recommended a course of solu-medrol- 1000 mg/ day for 3 days and then he wants me to begin Tysabri again in October. I was hoping for any additional information that can aide my husband and I in making this very important decision regarding our daughter. I want nothing more then to continue to breastfeed her but I need to make sure I have all the facts. I am not breastfeeding during the solu-medrol as the dosage is too high so I am giving her breastmilk bottles. Any information is very appreciated!!

Dear Ashleyhamptons,

For the three days you will be given high dose Solu-Medrol, you should pump and discard. Twenty-four hours after your last dose, you may resume breastfeeding. High dose and/or long term use of steroids have the potential to decrease infant growth. Natalizumab (Tysabri) is a recombinant humanized IgG monoclonal antibody used to suppress immunity in patients with multiple sclerosis. Normally, the transfer of native IgG or similar monoclonal antibodies into human milk is low even during the colostral period. Dr. Hale states that when small amounts of this product are added to vast quantities of IgG in the plasma, only a small percentage of natalizumab would ever be available for transport into milk, and the drug has poor oral bioavailability decreasing the infant's ability to absorb the medication. Let me know if you have further questions. You may also call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X