Milk supply and solu medrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk supply and solu medrol

I just received 3 days worth of solu medrol, 1gram each day. Which everyone said was safe while breast-feeding. The problem is it has killed my milk supply! I am so upset! Been pumping every two hours and only getting an ounce! I am also on domperidone for my milk supply. Do you think it will come back? It has. Been 24 hours. Since last dose. It is just weird, my breast don't feel full, like I am not nursing.

The exact same thing has happened to me in the past and I've continued to bf no problems. Keep up with the pumping or putting Bub to the breast to ensure your supply gets built up again. Also drink milk producing teas (fennel, fenugreek) and foods also which help with supply (oats, lactation cookies). Don't worry tho - this is normal and you can most definitely get your supply back and continue to bf

Comment

Interruption of milk production is an infrequent, but possible side effect of steroid administration, especially at such high doses, although exactly why this happens is not well understood.

We think it is reversible but the time frame is quite variable between patients (days for some, a month for others).

Domperidone or Metoclopramide (Reglan) administration, including frequent pumping or breastfeeding is often effective for many mothers. If they do not work for you, the next step in management is to have your physician draw a blood Prolactin level to make sure your pituitary is producing the milk hormone like it should. Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Thanks. How long did it take to come back? This so hard! Baby has a ton of food allergies and can only use elecare formula which is nasty! She is struggling with it!

Comment

Working...
        X