Ocrevus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocrevus

I am having to start on Ocrevus in about a month. I still breastfeed my 18 month old. My neurologist says I need to stop breastfeeding but I wasn’t ready to stop and am wondering if that is something I need to do. Thank you!

Sara:

Below is all I know about Ocrevus. In your case at 18 months you're not really producing much milk, thus the risk is probably minimal.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Ocrelizumab is a recombinant humanized monoclonal antibody directed against CD20-expressing B-cells and is indicated for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. It is a glycosylated immunoglobulin G1 (IgG1). It is a monoclonal antibody to CD20, a cell surface antigen present in B cells involved in multiple sclerosis. While no levels in milk have been published, it is likely they are low, and that present, is probably not orally bioavailable. Other such monoclonal antibodies are virtually unabsorbed orally in humans. There are no published data on the transfer of ocrelizumab into human milk, although it was excreted in the milk of ocrelizumab-treated monkeys. This product could potentially reduce B-cell populations in the gut, and could lead to higher rates of gut infections in infants. Caution is recommended with this antibody.

Comment

Working...
    X