Breastfeeding protocol during Lyme disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding protocol during Lyme disease

Hello! I am posting for a mom that I am helping. I have been trying to call the InfantRisk and it just rings and rings.

The mother I am helping was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease. She and the doctor believe she probably has had it for 3-4 years. She has a two year old and is currently breastfeeding a 6 month old. She has started an antibiotic and is taking it in the evening and bottle feeding for a few hours afterwards.

What is your recommendation for treatment and continued breastfeeding? I am not sure if she has discussed beginning other medications in addition to the antibiotic with her doctor as I understand there are several recommended for Lyme disease. Is it possible to do so while breastfeeding? Does she need to continue bottle feeding after taking the antibiotic at night? I believe the one she is taking is azithromycin 500 mg. since she is on an antibiotic, is there a chance her baby can contract Lyme disease through breastfeeding if the baby doesn't already have it? I believe her two children have been tested and they are awaiting the results. Thank you!
Working...
X