Lorzone/zanaflex and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lorzone/zanaflex and breastfeeding

I was prescribed zanaflex and lorzone and I know neither are recommended with breastfeeding. Can anyone tell me if I do take these on occasion, how long is it recommended to wait until nursing again?

amccleese15,

How old is your infant and what are the doses of these medications, and how often are you taking them?

Comment

He is 26 months. The zanaflex is 2 milligrams at night. The Lorzone is anywhere from 250 milligrams - 750 milligrams as needed every 6 to 8 hours. I would only be using these occasionally not every day or night.

Comment

Amccleese15,

I spoke with Dr Hale about this, he said since your baby is older and you only take on occasion it will probably be ok to breastfeed. With most medications it is best to take it right after breastfeeding or pumping when you have a little longer break period before feeding again. Monitor your infant for s[COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]edation, weakness, dry mouth, vomiting, lethargy, dark urine, or jaundice.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519 [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

The perinatal period presents a special problem to health care providers treating psychiatric disorders in women. Many pregnant women and new mothers who need antidepressant medications are hesitant to take such drugs for fear of possible harmful effects on their fetuses and nursing infants. Research on the short-term effects of antidepressant medications, particularly the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, suggests they can be used by pregnant and breastfeeding women for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders. Research also suggests that not treating these disorders can have a negative impact on mother-infant bonding.

I have got some related information and meds on this link too mygenericpharmacy

Comment

Working...
          X