Meds for prevention of recurrent GDM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meds for prevention of recurrent GDM

For a prediabetic woman who had gestational diabetes not requiring insulin in a previous pregnancy, are there medications that might be safe and appropriate for the prevention of GDM in future pregnancies? She has already lost significant weight and now has a BMI of 26, has met with nutritionists, and is eating a healthy diet. Wondering about risks/benefits of simply continuing with diet and exercise vs diet, exercise + metformin or other oral hypoglycemic agents.

Thank you!

Dear Halpina,

You should discuss your specific treatment options with your physician as he/she would know best what medications, if any are needed, would work well for you. Once you have a medication plan in place, you may either ask about the specific medication(s) here in the forum or call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday 8 to 5 CDT. Maintaining optimal blood glucose levels is important for not only your health but the health of your fetus and infant. Both metformin and insulin may be used safely during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

My first 2 pregnancies I was able to control it with proper gestational diabetes diet, but the last I had to start insulin injections. The worst part was not getting to eat all the foods that you soooo crave when you are pregnant. In my case it was sweets, pastas and breads. In the end I weighed less than I did before I got pregnant, so that is one upside to it! Not sure if you have gotten an answer yet, but Splenda is the only kind of sweetener that I was allowed to use. I drank mostly water, but if I had any soft drinks it was diet caffeine free drinks with Splenda. Also I made Kool Aid with Splenda instead of sugar. It helped to not get too bored with just water. On my gestational diabetes diet I was only allowed very few startches and 4 cups of milk a day. It was not bad though and in the end I felt much better and was much healthier. Don't worry about it too much! Just avoid the starches and carbs and you will do fine! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X