High blood sugar affect milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High blood sugar affect milk?

A diabetic breastfeeding Mom of an 8-week-old baby asked me if there are high levels of sugar in her milk when her own blood sugars are high? She was concerned about the effect of that on her baby. Anybody know anything about that?

Dear boakin,

Glucose levels in breastmilk are approximately one-fourth of the mother's blood glucose level. Breastfeeding is not contraindicated for women with diabetes. Blood sugars should be monitored closely after delivery and while breastfeeding is being established as medications such as insulin and antidiabetic oral medications often have to be adjusted during this time period. Adults should keep their blood glucose levels between 70 to 100 mg/dl to prevent the long term complications of diabetes. If this breastfeeding mother is having difficulty with high blood sugars, she should talk with her physician about this issue as her medication and/or diet may need to be adjusted. Nutritional counselors often are a great resource when dietary changes need to be made. Remember, breastfeeding mothers need to consume approximately 500 more calories than non-lactating women. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

thank you for sharing.

Comment

Normal Levels of Glucose in Breastmilk

Hi Cindy,

I've been trying to find the normal level of glucose (mg/Dl) in breastmilk after reading your reply that said one fourth of the mother's glucose level gets into the breastmilk. For example, if my blood sugar is 200 mg/Dl while I breastfeed, that means only 50 mg/Dl gets into my milk. How does that compare to the amount of glucose in non-diabetic breastmilk?

Thank you!
        Amber

Comment

I just quit breastfeeding to my 2 year daughter and since last week my sugar level is increased a lot. Is it normal?

Comment

NIDA:

While breastfeeding, about 40% of your body's metabolism is consumed by your breasts in the creation of milk. While I do not know for sure that your discontinuing breastfeeding would affect you blood glucose, it would seem obvious to me that it certainly might now that you are not using up all your body's resources to make milk.

Tom Hale Ph.D

Comment

Working...
            X