Effexor XR & Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effexor XR & Breastfeeding

Hi, brand new here! I've been taking effexor XR for over 10 years. When I became pregnant I of course wanted to taper off so I tried it very slowly and sadly I reacted very bad so I had to go back to my usual dose of 150mg.

So far so good with babies health in utero.

I would really love to breastfeed but not if it will hurt the baby. I don't think going off Effexor is an option for me. Possibly lowering the dose but due to my reaction last time I'm scared to try it and I don't think my psychatrist wants me to try it either. Could possibly change the drug, and I will discuss this with my psychatrist but I'm hoping to get a solid answer regarding the safety of effexor and breastfeeding.

Thank you.

Hello,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. L1 medications are the most compatible with breastfeeding. The scale goes all the way to L5, which are the medications you should not take while breastfeeding.

Effexor XR is rated an L3. The infant will get anywhere from 6.8% - 8.1% of your dose of the medication. Thus far, no reports of adverse effects have been found following expose via breastmilk.

I would encourage you to discuss this medication with the infant’s pediatrician, as well. Then you, your psychiatrist, and the pediatrician can make an informed decision.

If you have any questions, or if you would like to discuss this further, please call us at the InfantRisk Center. We are open Mon-Fri from 8:00am-5:00pm, CDT.

Colleen

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X