Lexapro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexapro

I am 33 weeks and have been taking Lexapro throughout my pregnancy. I also take Lorazepam as needed (I did not take Lorazepam at all during the first trimester). It has been a struggle.

I am tapering down on the Lexapro (now on 10 mg, hoping to be down to 5 mg before delivery) and Lorazepam (now on 0.5 mg no more than once or twice a week) to minimize discontinuation syndrome. I really want to breastfeed my baby, but I'm worried.

I anticipate the need to increase the doses of both Lexapro and Lorazepam after delivery. I know each is supposed to be relatively safe, but are there any negative effects on the breastfed baby of me taking both at the same time? Is it ok to go back to my pre-pregnancy dosages (20 mg Leaxpro, 1 mg lorazepam as needed)?

Thank you so much for any insight you may be able to provide.

Hi Johannah,

The dosages you mention (20 mg Lexapro and 1 mg lorazepam) are probably compatible with breastfeeding. You will need to monitor the infant for signs of sedation, (such as poor feeding, poor latching, & sleepiness), while taking these medications.

Please remember, the risk of untreated depression is far higher than the risks of these medications.

I hope this information is helpful. If you would like us to give you more detailed information, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am – 5pm CDT.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X