prozac and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prozac and breastfeeding

hi, i was on 30mg prozac for most of my pregnancy. I dropped down to20mg at week 32 and stayed on that dose until my baby was 6 weeks old; I then had my dose increased to 30mg which I have been on since 17th December. Im still having a mixture of good and bad days, and I love Breastfeeding my baby, but my query is should I switch to zololoft or stay on the prozac ? Im not sure if enough time has passed for the 30mg dose to take effect or if I should go up to 4omg, it took me a long time to increase to 30mg. Im also worried about a build up in my baby as I took it during pregnancy and Im still on it, it is worrying me and Im not fully enjoying the Breastfeeding as its on my mind a lot. Any help would be appreicated. thank you.

With depression, it is our recommendation that you continue with the medication that works best for you. You mention you are still having a mixture of good and bad days. It’s important for you to tell your physician so adjustments in your medication can be made if needed. If the Prozac is working for you, our advice is to remain on Prozac.

If the Prozac is not effective, some alternative medications are Zoloft and Lexapro.

If you would like us to give you more detailed information, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am – 5pm CST.

Colleen Peace, RN
    InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by copeace; 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply; I have been on the 30mg dose of prozac for exactly 5 weeks today(increased from 20mg) and Im still not repsonding as well as I want to, I seem to have increased anxiety; I want to know should I give it more time or should I request to switch meds? I think my Doctor might ask me to increase to 40mg but I am concerned about the effect on my baby; I was also wondering if my baby was to have a reaction to the prozac, when would that occur?(btw, Ive been on prozac for 12 years)
      And my last query is what tranquilliser is best to use when BF? Im due to go on a long haul flight and need tro take something but want to breast feed safely too?My baby is now 3 months old.
      Sorry if Ive asked too many questons! Its very difficult to get this information!thanks in advance.

Comment

I would encourage you to discuss your increased anxiety with your physician as soon as possible. A dosage of 40mg/day of Prozac is probably compatible with breastfeeding. Please remember, the risk of untreated depression is far higher than the risks of this medication.

Ativan is a good choice for breastfeeding and should help you on your long haul flight.

I hope this information is helpful. If you would like us to give you more detailed information, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am – 5pm CST.

Colleen Peace, RN
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X