Depression and an Unusual Thyroid Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression and an Unusual Thyroid Situation

I'm currently 33wks5d with my second child and I'm planning to breastfeed, but I have an unusual thyroid issue that I haven't been able to get much information on!

I deal with depression, both not pregnant and while pregnant. It onset during puberty and antidepressants don't work (I've been on over a dozen with some out of each class as well as having taken enhancers like Abilify). The only thing that has worked is Cytomel (Liothyronine, 50mcg). When I'm on it, my depression disappears as does my anxiety. However, when I have blood work done, my numbers are incredibly skewed. I will have a suppressed TSH, low T4, and triple the T3. My endocrinologist doesn't know why I don't react like I'm hyperthyroid despite my numbers, but while not pregnant, she has no problem with me having my numbers out of whack because my body seems to run better. I don't have heart palpitations, anxiety, sleeplessness, etc. She doesn't really know what will happen with breastfeeding.

That said, during pregnancy, I have to maintain normal thyroid numbers. My mental health has taken a significant hit and now we're discussing what to do post-partum. I can't find much information on milk supply and being hyperthyroid since everyone recommends regulating the thyroid back to acceptable numbers. There's some thought that it can affect let down, but I can't find anything beyond some tests on animals.

My two questions are:

1. Will my thyroid being skewed affect my baby's thyroid?
    2. With this type of artificially induced hyperthyroidism (high T3, low T4, suppressed TSH), is there any information as to how that affect milk supply/breastfeeding?

Not going back on my medication isn't really an option. My depression is, unfortunately, incredibly severe and breastfeeding doesn't affect that (I breastfed my older one, but that was prior to having found this medication that worked). I'm just trying to plan and make sure I've covered my bases as best as I can.
Working...
X