Apriso and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apriso and breastfeeding

I have active crohns disease and have recently been suffering from proctitis. My doctor just prescribed apriso at 1500 g a day (4pills). My daughter is 7 weeks old and I am concerned about the risks to her. Should I be concerned? My doctor believes that since this drug is released in the lower colon it is safer than other mesalamine drugs. I'm still worried. Do the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risks?

Hello,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. L1 medications are the most compatible with breastfeeding and the scale goes to L5, which are the medications that should be avoided while breastfeeding.

Apriso is rated L3. This is an extended release mesalamine and we think it is probably compatible with breastfeeding at the dosage you are taking.

Watery diarrhea in the infant has been reported, but this appears to be rare. The medication is commonly used in many patients without reported complications. Observe the infant for gastrointestinal symptoms (although not expected, we still want you to be aware of what to watch for).

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8:00am-5:00pm, CDT.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X