Xeljanz (Tofacitinib Citrate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeljanz (Tofacitinib Citrate)

I've searched the forums and found an old post regarding Xeljanz, RA in the mother, and breastfeeding an infant under 1. Has there been any additional research / information on this one? I'm going to start Xeljanz this week and my son is not quite done...we are down to about 5 minutes at bedtime. He will be 4 next month so a little different than an infant, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I've already discussed with my GI and he wasn't able to find any current studies. Thanks in advance!

PNWMama,

There is no new data on Xeljanz (tofacitinib). It is still rated an L4-no data-possibly hazardous. "The transfer of tofacitinib into human milk is still unknown. However, because of serious side effects that may occur in nursing infants it is advised to not use during breastfeeding.(Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale). It is true that your child would probably receive very little of this medication through the breast milk as little as he is nursing, but is it worth the risk ? At 4 years of age does the benefit of breastfeeding outweigh the risk of this medication? Probably not, but this is for you and your Dr to decide.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Oh, of course not, and we've already ended BF. I was just having a hard time finding anything new and wanted to confirm, just in case anyone else out there was looking as well. With my new Crohn's diagnosis, if there was something new that said it was low risk like my old Lialda, that would have been ideal - but not to be! Which is ok. Me being healthy is more important than anything else.

Comment

Working...
      X