i keep getting mastitis and it is making me very sad and depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i keep getting mastitis and it is making me very sad and depressed

i have a 21 month old daughter and an almost 3 month old boy. he is exclusively BF. i first got mastitis when he was 3.5weeks old and it got so bad that i had to be admitted to the hospital for 3 days for iv antibiotics and to monitor my high fever. i felt like i got hit by a truck. i finally started to feel better after about 3 weeks after and then all of a sudden i got it again. with the mastitis i also get EXCRUCIATING headaches and i am still getting them. i had my last bout of mastits on aug. 18th and had to go back into the hospital for iv bc of how bad it got the 1st time. i am getting the bad headaches all the time again and i feel so sad and worn down and depressed. has anyone else had this experience where they get bad headaches and feel very ill for a while after? i don't have the energy i used to. after i had my daughter i was rollerblading and running and happy and this time i have no energy i feel so tired, i have headaches all the time, and i just feel so weak. i don't know what to do anymore. i take klonopin 1mg at night for my panic attack problems but since he has beem born they have been worse, but so has everything else... the dr. reccommended an ssri and then a neurologist reccomended a tricyclic (nortryptiline) for the headaches but i am too afraid to take them bc i don't want the baby to get those in his body. my daughter and son have not had any effects from the klonopin. i am just really afraid i am going to keep getting the mastitis, how can i stop it from happening? i just want to feel happy and healthy again.

Dear kerrichamberland,

You may want to consider talking with your physician about using mupirocin ointment (Bactroban) on your nipple/arreola area to prevent recurrent mastitis. This ointment does not have to be wiped off prior to breastfeeding and works by decreasing bacteria on the skin. Also, once you and your physician decide on the best SSRI to treat your symptoms, call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, and we can give you information about your medication and breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X