Increasing Milk supply during Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Milk supply during Pregnancy

Hi. I have a mom who is breastfeeding a 7 month old and has recently confirmed a new pregnancy (her third). During her second pregnancy she was bresatfeeding her first baby (then about 18 months) and had a huge decrease in supply. Her toddler essentially weaned as a result and went back to breastfeeding after the new baby arrived. Now she is concerned that her milk supply will again falter with this pregnancy and that her baby may have to have formula since she is still too young to be sustained only on solids. Can you tell me about any potential risks or concerns for taking domperidone, fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc during pregnancy? Thanks, Carrie

Dear Carrie,

Your client will again experience a decrease in her breast milk supply because during pregnancy the hormonal changes such as the increase in estrogen that occur will cause the decrease. No galactogogue will help and some actually can cause uterine contractions leading to miscarriage such as blessed thistle and fenugreek; therefore, these are not recommended during pregnancy. Mom may want to try pumping after her breastfeeding sessions to store extra milk until she begins to experience the decrease in supply. If she does need to use formula, we recommend the hydrolyzed formulas such as Nutramigen, Alimentum, Pregestimil, or Nestle Good Start Supreme. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

I'm breatfeeding a 9 months ago now and am pregnant. I've struggled with milk supply before the pregnancy. Mother Milk Tea and fennel worked for me before, but can I take it now that I'm pregnant? And what about red rasberry?
      Pumping after nursing has never worked for me, all it did was cause discomfort and no increased milk.
      Last edited by angeem; 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Dear angeem,

We do not recommend herbal products such as Fenugreek (in Mother's Milk Tea), Fennel, and Red Raspberry during pregnancy as there are no adequate or well-controlled studies on these products for their safety. Animal studies with Fenugreek during pregnancy resulted in low birth weight and decreased live births. A decrease in your milk supply is expected and is due to the normal hormonal changes of pregnancy such as the increase in estrogen. Extra pumping would not change the hormonal influence of pregnancy on your milk supply. If you need to supplement your infant's diet, you may consider a human milk bank or talk with your pediatrician about other recommendations.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X