Bipolar medications and cigarette smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bipolar medications and cigarette smoking

I actually have 2 questions, really. The first is about cigarette smoking. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant. My baby is now 5 weeks old and my cravings have gone into hyper drive. I kind of started smoking again this last week. So far I have only had a cigarette or 2 a day. I've never smoke more than half a pack (10-12 cigarettes a day) a day in all the years I've smoked. I try smoking after I nurse to reduce the amount of nicotine in my breast milk, but there has been a couple of times where he wants to nurse within 30-60 minutes after I've smoked. I never smoke in my house, and I wear a thick coat, hat that completely covers my hair, and gloves when I smoke. I immediately wash my hands and brush my teeth when I come in. What are the general guidelines for smoking and breastfeeding? My second question is about bipolar and anxiety meds during breastfeeding. What are considered the safest medications? This is including mood stabilizers and benzos, really. I guess any of the meds used to treat bipolar disorder. I would like a list to take to my psychiatrist. In all honesty, km not sure if I am going to take ANYTHING as of yet. I'm considering waiting until my baby is older. Or just not nursing.

Danniele,

We recommend trying nicotine patches or gum instead of the cigarettes if possible, if you are unable to quit smoking limit use as much as possible and do it right after breastfeeding when you have a longer break between feeds and continue doing as you are by covering up and going outside, washing your hands and brushing your teeth. As far as medications for your bipolar and anxiety disorders we recommend speaking to your Dr about which medication is right for you, get a few options for each and give us a call at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 and we can discuss the safety of each.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X