Zoloft and Buspar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoloft and Buspar

I'm currently taking 100mg of Zoloft and my Dr. wants me to add 10mg of Buspar up to 3x/day. Are these safe to take together? I'm exclusively nursing a 5 month old.

Kate209,

Zoloft (sertraline) is rated an L1-extensive data-compatible. Only 0.4-2.2 % of your dose transfers into breastmilk. Sertraline has been extensively studied in many breastfeeding mothers. The data is consistent that levels in milk are quite low, sertraline is a preferred antidepressant in lactation. Monitor your infant for Sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Buspar (busperirone) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. Currently there are no data regarding buspirone excretion into human milk; several properties of this medication suggest it has difficulty-entering breastmilk like high protein binding, short half-life, large volume of distribution, low oral bioavailability, and minimally active metabolites. Monitor your infant for behavioral changes, feeding problems, appropriate weight gain. This medication has a short half-life, if you can wait 2-3 hours after a dose half the medication is out of your system.

According to Micromedix no drug to drug interactions.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X