BF and anti-anxiety drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF and anti-anxiety drugs

Hi, Im BF and on 30mg Prozac daily.(I increased my dose from 20mg to 30 mg over 5 weeks ago); Is there any anti-anxiety drug that is safe to use occasionally?My doctor said I could take a xanax but she didnt specify which is a safe dose, and if I took one, how long do I need to wait before feeding again?

thank you in advance.

An adult dosage of Xanax (0.5 mg–1 mg / three times a day) is probably compatible with breastfeeding when used on a short term, intermittent basis.

There is no need to pump and discard after taking this medication. However, the drug is most concentrated in the body approximately 1-2 hours after taking the medication. To help ensure the infant gets the least amount possible, it would be advisable to breastfeed first, take the medication, and then wait two or more hours before breastfeeding again.

I hope this information is helpful. If you would like us to give you more detailed information, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am – 5pm CST.

Colleen Peace, RN
    InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by copeace; 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

valium use when breastfeeding

How long is needed to wait to breastfeed after taking a valium 5mg?thank you

Comment

Hi,

Assuming the infant is full term, with no complications, Valium is probably compatible with breastfeeding. The infant should be monitored for sedation, poor suckling, lethargy, and withdrawal.

The time this medication is most concentrated in your system is 1-2 hours after taking. If you breastfeed your babies first, then take the medication, then wait about 3 hours before you breastfeed again; it will help ensure the infant is not getting the medication when it is most concentrated in your system.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at the InfantRisk Center. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm CDT.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
        InfantRisk Center, TTUHSC

Comment

I am 17 weeks pregnant and currently take .75 - 1mg of Clonazapam per day. I have bipolar disorder and chronic anxiety. My doctors have recommended that I try to ween off of the medication about 1 month prior to delivery to help eliminate possible sedative effects on the baby. They have also noted that it may cause a sedative effect on the baby if I take the medication while breast feeding.

Comment

heleng makes sure to clarify things to your doctor before taking those. Never hesitate to what it is in your mind. Hope this will help.

Comment

Working...
            X