Anxiety and SSRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety and SSRI

My baby is almost 12 months old. I’ve been on lexapro for over a decade (clinical depression) but have noticed I’m having anger issues which I think are anxiety related. I’ve gone to my doctor about it but he doesn’t seem knowledgeable about the safety of medications while breastfeeding and didn’t want to put me on anything. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin before but I don’t like those at all. They make me tired but do not take away my anxiety. As a mom of 4, that isn’t acceptable. Is there a long term medication for anxiety that would work well with my lexapro for anxiety that is also safe for breastfeeding (and pregnancy, we are not trying to prevent pregnancy.) I would like to make an appointment with my doctor and have information at hand so I can get some relief. My kids deserve better than I am giving right now.

Aschmidt:

Lexapro or Zoloft are suitable drugs for treating depression and anxiety syndrome, particularly if you become pregnant. Perhaps an increase in the dose of Lexapro would be suggested. We have several studies in breastfeeding women of Lexapro (escitalopram) and the dose the infant gets is low, about 5 - 8 % of the maternal dose.

Zoloft(sertraline) transfers poorly into milk, less than 2% of the maternal dose. It is a favorite of obstetricians for treatment of depression/anxiety in pregnancy and breastfeeding.

But it is generally understood, that anxiety syndromes require higher doses than depression.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      I’m currently on 20mg of lexapro for my depression and was told that is the maximum dose. I have been on Zoloft previously (instead of the lexapro) and it did not work for me at all. I was hoping to find a medication to compliment the lexapro, or, find out if an increased dosage of the lexapro would be safe for me (I still score pretty high on the depression questionnaire.)

Comment

Aschmidt:

The highest dose currently recommended is 20 per day. You may need to consider another antidepressant if this one doesn't work. You might ask your physician about BuSpar in addition to your Lexapro or a low dose of Ativan.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X