Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and doses

Hi,
    I'm breastfeeding my 3 month baby. Im taking 100 sertraline and 1 lorazepam. My anxiety is growing these days,and my psychiAtric wants me y o have 150 sertraline. Is it too much for my baby? Can cause him harm? And long term effects like neurological problems.
    thanks

And how about the lorazepam?

Comment

Yako,

Zoloft is an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers is only 0.4-2.2% of your dose. The normal dose is 50-200mg a day, so you are within the normal limits. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. We do not know of any long term neurological effects in children who were breastfed when moms were on SSRI's.

Lorazepam is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers is only 2.6-2.9% of your dose. We recommend keeping the dose low, 1mg a day is probably ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

The infant was exposed to more in utero than through breast milk and they become accustomed to metabolizing these medications while in utero. You describe your infant as being happy and healthy so we say it ok to continue breastfeeding and enjoy your infant. If you do not feel like these medications are working for you we suggest speaking with your Dr about alternative medications.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center
      806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
      X