Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and dioxin exposure

Hello,

I am breastfeeding my 17 month old only once ot twice a day and do not feel I am producing a lot of milk. I have been diagnosed with postpartum OCD causing me to worry about certain issues more than most people. I realize this may be a strange question but i have been concerened with dioxin exposure through breast milk since having my daughter. Ive come to terms with knowing it exists at low levels in many foods but i recently had an exposure at work in which a large battery charging system malfunctioned burned and melted creating a strong unpleasant odor of melted plastic. I know dioxins are released when pvc plastic burns and im concerned i was exposed to dioxins through this incident and again question if i should continue breastfeeding ? I am in therapy for my OCD and have been trying to deal with this question on my own but was hoping for more expert advice. Thank you in advance

Starts
    04-17-2017
    Ends
    04-17-2017

Karie:

No way I'd stop breastfeeding. It's not really known for sure that plastics actually create the compound dioxin. Most are found in the older pesticides. Maybe some do that have other components, but I wouldn't trust some of the stuff on the internet. I think the risk of NOT breastfeeding far outweighs the risk of breastfeeding in your case. Besides all of us store dioxins to some degree anyway. You get more from eating food, than you do from the air.

I'd suggest you continue to breastfeed. We know that helps infants enormously.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Karie,

Just make sure you eat healthy food and try to stay away from canned and processed food. Breastfeeding is very good for the baby and for us, as well. They aid in weight loss from the pounds we gained from pregnancy. I hope you stay more positive than negative and worried. That way you're nurturing your baby in a happy and healthy environment.

Comment

Working...
      X