Breastfeeding on multiple medications anf timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on multiple medications anf timing

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and on 3 medications that are time sensitive and must be taken at regular intervals- metoprolol tartrate, buspar, and mexiletine. I take them at 6am, 10am, 2pm, and 10pm throughout the day. I was told that all are safe for breastfeeding but I should take the medication right after I feed/pump so that the next feeding would be in 2 to 3 hours and the levels would be lower. This would mean I would be on a very strict feeding schedule as well which is going to be difficult with a newborn.

My questions are: Does this apply to all of these medications? Can I wait only one hour vs two to three? And does it matter really since the baby is exposed inutero plus I take them around the clock everyday so they are always pretty much in my system? Thank you.

EM3,

We recommend taking medications after you nurse where you have a break before feeding again. This way you get past the peak time of the medication and thus the infant is exposed to less of that medicine, but you can breastfeed whenever you need to. All of these meds are going to have a low transfer into breast milk so as long as your infant is not symptomatic they should not be a problem.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Hi. I'm a breastfeeding mother and I'm so afraid of taking medications. I know that these medications may be important to you, but I do hope that you will have the chance to wean from them. When I have a cold, I do the oral spray instead of the usual antihistamines. I've read that some decongestants may decrease the production of milk. Also, please do not forget the natural remedies like drinking lots of water and taking vitamins through fruits and vegetables.

Comment

I wish I could wean from them but unfortunately I have a life threatening arrhythmia and survived sudden cardiac arrest at 8 weeks along during this pregnancy! They are definitley vital and I won't be able to stop them at any point in the near future. Breastfeeding is important to me though so since they are all safe, I'm just going to go with it and see how he does!

Comment

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well with you and the baby.

Comment

Working...
          X