Prozac and trazadone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prozac and trazadone

I have a history of depression and anxiety. I am currently pregnant and taking 40mg of prozac daily and 25mg of trazadone before bed. I would like to stay on both meds post partum and breastfeed. Can you tell me about the safety of these drugs as it relates to breastfeeding? Should I try to breastfeed at certain times and not tethers to avoid exposing baby to peak levels of either drug? Thanks!

Dear Curious,

Fluoxetine (Prozac) has been used many years with minimal reports of complications. Dr. Hale thinks it is compatible with breastfeeding. Observe your infant for colic symptoms. The half-life is long for this medication so will be in your system about the same daily so you don't have to avoid certain times for breastfeeding. Trazodone is secreted into breastmilk in minimal amounts. Milk levels are probably too low to be clinically relevant in the breastfed infant. The time trazodone is highest in your milk would be the first two hours after your dose, so try to avoid breastfeeding during that time. Observe your infant for sedation. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CST.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X