Remicade, 6mp and pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remicade, 6mp and pregnancy

Hello. I am a 33 yo currently being treated for UC. I am being hospitalized at the moment for a flare up and need to make decisions about my future course of treatment. My current retiming of 4.8 g asacol/day and 1 g canasa suppository at night has kept me in remission for a little more than a year but now seems to be inadequate. I'm trying to get pregnant and am having to decide if I should try to use remicade as the next step, or if I should add 6 mp to my regimen. My GI doc feels that 6 mp is the way to go but I am terrified to use this while pregnant, and just in general. He can offer some assurance that it is okay and that a flare in pregnancy could be far worse, which I understand. I've gotten mixed results on remicade, but am generally finding it to be okay for pregnancy and even breast feeding, which is extremely important for me. I was fortunate enough to bf my first son through 6 mos before having a major flare and hospitalization. I believe that bf with 6 mp is not possible. Any information that you could offer would be so greatly appreciated in helping me make an educated an informed decision. Thank you in advance. - Alison

Hi,

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 so we can discuss this with you on an individual basis. There are many things to consider, and we want to be sure we are giving you the best information based on your situation.

6-MP is NOT a good choice to take when pregnant. It is rated a category D by the FDA. Women receiving mercaptopurine in the first trimester of pregnancy have an increased incidence of abortion and the risk of malformation in offspring surviving first trimester exposure is not accurately known. For these reasons, we would not recommend 6-MP in pregnancy.

When you call, we will be happy to discuss the other options you mentioned. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CST. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Colleen Peace, RN, MSN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X