Topical ketamine/gabapentin/lidocaine/ketoprofen cream for pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topical ketamine/gabapentin/lidocaine/ketoprofen cream for pain

I am nursing my 3 month old infant. I injured my shoulder during the delivery and have had pain since. My MD prescribed a pain relieving cream that contains ketamine HCL 10%, Gabapentin 3%, Lidocaine 5%, and ketoprofen 10%. I am hoping I can use this cream safely and avoid oral medications for pain since I am breast feeding.

Is there any research on how the medications are absorbed systemically and if they are passed into breast milk? Is this a safe alternative to taking oral pain medications?

Tiger:

This sounds like a 'compounded' prescription. If so, no one can tell you how much, if any, of this product is absorbed through the skin and reaches the maternal plasma compartment. I'm sorry, I really can't advise the safety of this product.

Tom Hale PH.D.

Comment

Would naproxen (orally) 500mg BID be a safer alternative? What about a prednisone?

Comment

TigerGaile:

Ibuprofen(Advil) or Naproxen would probably be better choices. They may not be as effective as this cream, but probably safer for the infant.

Avoid using naproxen for more than a week or so, as you and possibly the infant, might get gut problems(cramping, diarrhea).

Tom Hale Ph.Dl.

Comment

Working...
        X