Celexa and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celexa and Breastfeeding

I am taking Celexa 20mg and breastfeeding my 3 month old son. I have been taking it for a month now. I was wondering if I should be concerned about the side effects from the medication. He was sleeping during the night before I started taking Celexa and now he gets up at least once. I’m concerned that it might get worse. I tried to wean myself off it but I could not. I have been reading some information about the effects of the medication but I haven’t gotten a clear understanding if Celexa would harm my baby.

Hi Marie,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. L1 medications are the most compatible with breastfeeding. The scale goes to L5, which are the medications that should be avoided while breastfeeding.

Celexa is rated an L2. The infant will get about 3.6% of your dose. The normal dose is 20-40 mg/day. Based on the information in your message, you are taking the lowest dose. The newest data suggests that the risks of this product are probably quite low. We think this medication is probably compatible with breastfeeding.

In your message, you mentioned your infant has been waking at least once in the night since you started taking the Celexa. Restlessness is a possible side effect of the medication. If your infant has a particular sensitivity to the medication, it’s possible that it could cause him to be restless, but it’s hard to know for sure if it’s the medication or something else that is causing him to wake at night.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if you have any further questions. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CDT. We can be reached at 806-352-2519.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Suggestion!!

According to me you should not take Celexa its really risky as we love are baby so much, but even if you taking then in that case normal dose is 20-40 mg/day!! But please take care of yourself and also of your baby!!

Comment

If you are breastfeeding while taking Celexa, the medication may pass through your milk to the nursing baby. Symptoms that have been reported with breastfeeding babies whose mothers were taking antidepressants include excessive tiredness, weight loss, and decreased feeding. If you are prescribed Celexa, let your healthcare provider know if you are breastfeeding or thinking of starting.
        Last edited by Lala55; 05-21-2013, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X