Vitamins and Minerals for Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamins and Minerals for Migraines

Okay so I am a bit concerned with all the vitamins and minerals I take or was told to take. I am a breastfeeding mom and up until about a week ago I took my prenatal(Vol-Plus tab trig), calcium(1200mg with D3 250IU) every night, and a B Complex with Folic Acid plus Vitamin C every morning. (Vitamin C-180 mg, Riboflavin-20 mg, Niacin-25 mg, b6-5mg, Folic Acid-400mcg, b12-30 mcg).
    I have had severe migraines since my daughters birth 11 weeks ago, (I have written a forum lately inregards to meds for migraines) and a health store told me to add in 400mg of magnesium at night with my calcium, 900mg of Omega 3 supplement, and a B2-riboflavin supplement (100mg)in the morning. Is this alot of stuff to take while nursing? What wuold you recommend me keeping and discarding while breastfeeding?
    Thanks and I hope this isnt confusing

i would love to also know the answer to this

my son is 12 weeks old and i have had severe migraines since he was about 3.5 weeks old. it started when i got my first bout of mastitis and i saw a neurologist and he wanted me to take nortryptiline which is an old-school antidepressant with a lot of side effects. i don't feel safe nursing spencer and taking that and i wanted to try something that is safer and more researched. have you found that the vitamins have helped? i think i feel safe taking pain medications for the severe attacks rather than the anti-depressants since the pain medications are studied but they don't like to use those for headaches and i don't know what vitamins will help me. the only vitamins i take now are prenatals and vitamin d

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your migraines. Unfortunately I know the pain. I am getting them every week, and I feel the same way as you with the antidepressants I have read mixed reviews about the vitamins and minerals above. I will tell you this, I have had incredible results on energy with the Omega 3's and been able to focus alot more. I have 3 under 4 with my youngest being 11 weeks, so I need my brain. Yesterday I had a migraine (just a light one, as I call them) and I took a b2 along with the Omega when I had breakfast and my migraine was gone all day yesterday. Just a coincidence, I don't know but the b2's are supposed to limit migraines so I am hoping whomever answers this forum will tell me it is okay to continue taking them. I have heard the 400mg of magnesium is to much for a breastfeeding mother, but that is the recommended dose for migraine sufferers. I took this while not pregnant and did see results. Hopefully we will get a better answer in the next day or two, until then I hope you start feeling somewhat better. i am in the same boat as far as pain meds go, I suffer through the mild migraines and take vicodin when they get really bad..

Comment

Is 100mg of B2 and 400 mg of Magnesium safe to take while breastfeeding?

Comment

Dear shellyp22,

In general, we recommend to stay within the RDA (recommended daily allowance) set by the Food and Drug Administration for vitamins and minerals. We recommend taking prenatal vitamins in amounts prescribed by a healthcare provider. There have been four studies done on magnesium supplementation for prevention of migraine headaches. In two of the studies, benefit was found but in the other two studies, no significant benefit was found. Diarrhea and gastrointestinal distress were the most common side effects in the four studies. (UpToDate, accessed 9/11/12) The RDA of Magnesium is 450 mg per day for a breastfeeding mother. The RDA of Vitamin B2 is 1.4 mg per day during lactation. Remember, your prenatal vitamins contain these and the foods you consume probably will contain these vitamins and minerals. Some vitamins transfer into breastmilk avidly such as Vitamin B 6 and and others such as Vitamin A can cause harm to a breastfed infant if taken in excessive doses. You should consult your healthcare provider if your migraine headaches are not responding to the treatment prescribed. Once you get your treatment plan, you may call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT for information about the specific medications you will be taking.

Sincerely,
          Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
          TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
          Last edited by cpride; 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X