No announcement yet.

Low dose Seroquel throughout pregnancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dose Seroquel throughout pregnancy?

Hello,
    I am 38 weeks pregnant and checking in to make sure that my low dose Seroquel therapy has been ok for baby. I have been taking 25-50 mg at night for sleep for the entire pregnancy. My doc thinks that Seroquel doesn't really get past the placenta much. Also a genetic counselor thought it was ok.

Will baby have withdrawal symptoms? Are there any specific health risks associated with Seroquel in pregnancy for baby?

Dear rowantree,

There is no apparent increased risk of birth defects with quetiapine (Seroquel), but the number of studies that have been conducted is small. There is a risk of maternal weight gain with subsequent increase in diabetes mellitus and thromboembolic events (blood clots) with quetiapine use. Also, there is an increased risk of having an infant who is large for gestational age. In a study conducted on the use of atypical antipsychotics during late pregnancy, it was found that quetiapine had the least amount of passage through the placenta compared to other atypical antipsychotics (i.e. olanzapine,haloperidol, and risperidone). In a case report published in the Archives of Women's Mental Health in 2007, a 30 year old woman with a known history of bipolar disorder who was not taking any medication during her pregnancy developed a manic episode. She had been on lithium in the past, but stopped taking it because she wanted to become pregnant. She was then started on quetiapine in the 21st week of pregnancy and continued to be on it throughout her pregnancy. She delivered a full term healthy infant without any birth defects. There doesn't appear to be an increased risk of withdrawal with this medication.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

How did everything go with your baby?

Comment

Working...
      X