Seroquel and Lamictal while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seroquel and Lamictal while pregnant

Hello - I have taken 75mg of Lamictal and 50mg of Seroquel daily for bipolar disorder for several years. I am currently 15 weeks pregnant. Are both safe to stay on during pregnancy? All of my care providers know about my medication and are supportive but I wanted to know your opinion. Also, I really want to breastfeed when this baby is born. I have read that Lamictal is relatively safe. What about Seroquel?

Thank you!

Dear mamag,

Both lamotrigine (Lamictal) and quetiapine (Seroquel) are class C during pregnancy. You are on low doses of both of these medications. Lamotrigine does not appear to increase the risk of birth defects in several studies although one drug registry found a slight increase in the risk of cleft lip and palate. Folic acid supplementation is recommended while taking this medication. As with any medication, should only be used during pregnancy if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus. There is a pregnancy registry if you are interested in participating. The phone number is 1-888-233-2334. For quetiapine, there doesn't appear to be an increase in the risk of birth defects in a small number of studies. Quetiapine appears to have the least amount of passage through the placenta compared to others in its class such as haloperidol and risperidone. There is a risk of neonatal poor adaptation syndrome at birth although since you are on a low dose the risk is small. Your infant should be observed for 48 hours in the hospital after delivery by your pediatrician for low muscle tone and poor feeding. Once you deliver, call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, and we can discuss these medications for breastfeeding. They are both compatible with breastfeeding, but there are several factors that need to be discussed including the gestational age of your infant. The center is open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 07-11-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

yes you are right ...
      I agree with you...!!!

Comment

Working...
      X