Prednisone 40mg and breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prednisone 40mg and breastfeeding?

Hi Im new to this, I actually have ulcerative colitis I was diagnosed 11 wks ago at 24 wks pregnant. I have been having a really bad flare up and have been in and out of the hospital 3 times in 11 wks. Anyway I am currently taking Lialda twice a day and Prednisone 40mg. My question is if it is ok to take the prednisone 40mg while breastfeeding? My GI Dr. told me on Monday that I wasnt going to be able to nurse because of the prednisone. I have been so stressed out over that, it was the one thing that I was really looking forward to offering my baby for his health and mine. Mostly his. He is my 3rd and Im just trying to figure out anyway I can to still be able to nurse since they cant take me off the Prednisone. If you can help me by giving me any answers I would appreciate it. I have done alot of reading today on different blogs and alot of people say they have successfully breastfed their kids while on 40mg of Prednisone and have had healthy babies. I just want to be sure. Thank you.

I've breastfed

Hi

Congrats on your pregnancy! I have a 9mth old son and I breastfed him for a few months on 40 pred. My drs told me it was fine and he's had no issues.

I hope you find health and can breastfeed as long as you want. I became too sick and had to also go on azathirpine so I stopped, but I had a fistula so that's why I was so sick!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X