crohn's medication and pregnancy .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crohn's medication and pregnancy .

Hi , we're considering adding a new baby to our family . I'm also asking here cause my GI doctor doesn't even want me taking Tylenol right pregnant ... I take 6-mp/Mercaptopurine and Cimzia . I believe Cimzia is safe but for the 6mp I read lots of mixed things about it . I know they say it's category D but then read some docs prescribe it cause there's no actual proof that it's bad for a pregnant mom . Anyone ?

Hi,

6-MP (Mercaptopurine) can be hazardous to the fetus, especially in the first trimester. The FDA has rated this medication a category D for all trimesters. The definition of Category D is: There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk (such as, if the drug is needed in a life-threatening situation for a serious disease for which safer drugs cannot be used or are ineffective).

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 so we can visit with you more about this medication. Our hours are Mon-Fri from 8:00am – 5:00pm, CST.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X