Saphris and Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saphris and Pregnancy

Today I started Saphris and am calling it a relative success. Except for the first few hours after ingesting (in which I was incapable of operating a vehicle), I am finding it already working much better for me than Abilify (which made me a zombie) and Lamictal (which made my hair fall out).

So, looking forward I want to know what the current research suggests for pregnancy. I'm nursing my 18 month-old three times a day, which I am comfortable doing while taking this low (5mg) dose. But my husband and I are starting to plan for another baby. I don't want to be forced into giving up my stability for a pregnancy. What should I know about this drug before trying to conceive?

Dear mandab,

Saphris (asenapine) is classified as a pregnancy category C drug. The pregnancy category C indicates animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus,
    and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Animal studies with Saphris show an increase in miscarriage and low birth weight in offspring, but no increased incidence of birth defects. No human studies are available. When Saphris is used during the last few weeks of pregnancy, infants should be monitored for weak cry and poor suck after birth. Because there are limited data for Saphris during pregnancy, other medications you can talk with your OB physician about are risperidone (Risperdal) and quetiapine (Seroquel) because they both have been studied in humans and have not been found to cause an increase in the incidence of birth defects. Your physician can help you decide which medication would be best for your condition. If you have further questions, you can call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CST.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

been trying to cenceive, no luck, was on saphris for 3 months

I'm looking at the animal studies of saphris, and it seems that im having the loss after implantation, like the rabbits, but ive been off the medicine for 4.5 years.
      I want to know if it caused irreversible reproductive harm.

Comment

Working...
      X