topical Dapsone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• topical Dapsone

Is topical Dapsone (brand name Aczone) safe in pregnancy? I've read that there are only animal trials and mostly on the oral form.

Hi, thanks for your post.

We do have human trials of [U]oral[/U] dapsone showing that it accumulates in breastmilk and causes problems for infants. We also have some limited human trials of [U]topical[/U] dapsone showing that absorption from the skin into the blood is fairly minimal and that it does not cause problems for infants with that very limited exposure. As with all topical medications, be sure to wash your hands and skin thoroughly before breastfeeding to avoid getting medication residue on your child's skin on in his mouth. While breastfeeding on this medication, monitor your child for irritability, insomnia, vomiting, and weight gain that deviates from his growth curve.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

The following reference may be useful to your physician if he or she needs more information:

Edstein MD, Veenendaal JR, Newman K, Hyslop R. Excretion of chloroquine, dapsone and pyrimethamine in human milk. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1986; 22(6):733-735.

Comment

It is an antiinfective medication, this medicine is usually helpful for the treatment of acne. It is type of gel which show its effect to cure the acne. It is the first new anti-acne gel to cure acne. The post above is nice, if I want more information then i will definitely contact to the above address and physician.

Comment

Working...
      X