Adderoll for ADHD while breast feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderoll for ADHD while breast feeding

I have ADHD and was taking adderoll before becoming pregnant. I am off the medication now, but need it desperately for school.

I am willing to postpone taking the meds, but will be likely to cut short breastfeeding, if I cannot do both....

Is it safe to take the medication and breastfeed?

Adderall

Dear Rochelle,
    Adderall (Dextroamphetamine) is a potent and long-acting amphetamine. It transfers avidly into milk and should be used with caution by a breastfeeding mom. Since it is a powerful CNS stimulant, the infant needs to be monitored closely for the following symptoms: insomnia, irritability, anorexia, reduced weight gain, or poor sleep patterns. Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is probably preferred for use while breastfeeding. Hope this is helpful.
    Sincerely,
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi,

I'm breastfeeding a 28 lb 2 year old 2-4 times a day for five minutes max each nursing session. I am currently taking 20 mg of Adderall a day total, sometimes only 10 mg because I often forget to take my second dose. How likely is it that she is getting enough Adderall to effect her mood? She has been more moody lately since I've cut back on her nursing, but she's also 2 years and old and she's always been a very high needs, spirited child.

Comment

Michiroo:

In this case, the relative infant dose is probably going to be quite low, since the volume of milk you are producing and giving the infant is probably quite low. By 2 years of age, the infant has developed a pretty good metabolism and the because the volume of milk tends to decline over time, the dose transferred is often low by 2 years.

I'd suggest your infants irritability is something else.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

McKenzie:

About 2-7 percent of the moms dose of Adderall (dextroamphetamine), gets to the infant via milk. Each infant would have to be evaluated independently for side effects such as insomnia, poor sleeping habits, poor appetite(anorexia), and agitation. Interestingly, it is probably safer to use after 5-6 months, than it is early postnatally, as the infant have metabolize and excrete whatever drug is in milk much more effectively at 6 months. I'd suggest you discuss this with your doctor and pediatrician.

I do not know any providers in the Madison area, sorry. If your doctor is good, I'd stick with him/her.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Adderall and one year old.

I have a 13 month old and he is still nursing 1-3 times during the day (morning nap, afternoon, before bed). Then he wakes up around 11pm to nurse and once more during the night. I tried dexedrine before pregnancy but had to stop. I had good reaction to it although wore off quickly. My psychiatrist would like me to try Adderall when I feel it is safe to do so with the nursing, if he reduces his feeds, or weans.

I am wondering if he does get a majority of nutrition from foods, and trying Goat's milk etc-and I try to reduce the feedings during the day to outside of medication time (ie/ first thing in morning, and just before bed) and nursing at nighttime-how much of the medication might he get and what to watch for? I am uneasy still with trying while breastfeeding but feel desperate to do so and do not want to wean him entirely.

Comment

Adderall

Dear equilibrium,
              Adderall or Dextroamphetamine apparently transfers into milk avidly. Of the 6 infants studied thus far, no untoward effects have been reported in any infant. If you are going to breastfeed while taking this medication, the dose should be kept low, and your baby should be monitored for agitation, and poor weight gain. An alternate drug would be Methylphenidate (Ritalin) for which we have more data. Since your baby is older and your milk supply is probably also decreasing, the amount transferred to the baby is probably going to be low and will likely not bother him. I would recommend you take the medicine right after breastfeeding and that way you minimize exposure. If you have any questions, call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. I hope this helps.
              Sincerely,
              Maria Milla, MD
              InfantRisk Center

Comment

Southsidemom:

Certainly some of the Adderall will enter milk (1.8% - 6.9% of maternal dose), but if your infant is not showing any signs of stimulation or weight loss, then I would not be concerned about this therapy.

We now know, that the mother's mental health is incredibly important to the neurobehavioural development of the infant, and in most instances, poor maternal health is much riskier than most of these drugs.

I'd suggest you continue your med and breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Dear Dr.Hale,

I have a healthy full term 4 month old. I am breast feeding him 3 times a day -morning- right before bed -and the 3am feeding. He gets formula the rest of the day. I would like to go back on my adderall my normal dose was 5-10 mg of the xr at 8am. I was wondering if I should wean my son or continue to nurse the 3 times a day. I do not want to hurt his development due to my medicine. I know you are the only source for this and was wondering your opinion. I could go on the ir if that is necessary. Thank you.

Comment

T2012M:

Using the 5-10 mg XR formulation, I'd suggest you be cautious with the last two feedings. The XR formulation produces rather sustained levels for up to 24 hours, hence the infant might get some dextroamphetamine at Bedtime and at less again at 3 AM. I really doubt it will be enough to cause insomnia, but it could.

I'd suggest you try it and simply observe your infant for insomnia and excitement. If he doesn't sleep at night, you know the problem. Also, another side effect may be anorexia, they simply don't want to eat and could loose some weight.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Reply to Dr.Hale

Dr.Hale

My baby seemed to not be bothered by the 5mg of adderall xr. He spelt normally and ate well.

Would you suggest timing my medication where I don't nurse him for a certain amount of time to limit exposure? I take 5mg at 8am and usually don't nurse him till 5 ; but sometimes he wants to nurse in the afternoon around 12 or 2.

From your studies do you think I need to wean or can you suggest a safer medication if this one stays in my blood too long?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Dear Dr. Hale,
                        I also have a healthy 4 month old. I am exclusively breastfeeding. I took VyVanse 60mg for 4 years for my ADHD before I got pregnant, but stopped when I found out. Finishing up school without my medicine was difficult. Now i'm going back for a college class. 8 am-430 pm. Is it possible I could take something for my ADHD and have it be okay for when I come home to feed him when class is over? Or pump and dump the milk I make during the day? I really need to pass this class. He wont take a bottle, so I wouldnt be able to do formula. There has got to be something I can do. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
                        Last edited by Noliesmommy; 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I am currently breastfeeding my 6 week old son but I desperately need 2 start back on my adderall. I was taking 30 mg 2x a day before I got pregnant. My doctor has prescribed me 15 mg 2x a day. Is it safe for my son if I take that dose?

Comment

Dear BrittneyKayla,

Adderall is a potent and long-acting amphetamine that transfers into milk avidly. Some of the Adderall will enter milk (1.8% - 6.9% of maternal dose). Of the 6 infants studied thus far, no untoward effects have been reported in any infant. It is probably safe to use this medication in a breastfeeding mother, but the dose should be kept as low as possible.

I'd suggest you try it and simply observe your infant for signs of agitation, insomnia, and poor weight gain.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
                            InfantRisk Center

Comment

Adderall and Pumping

Hi,

Before I was pregnant, I was on 20mg of Adderall XR daily. I am now breastfeeding a 10-week old. I have not gone back to taking Adderall, but am wondering whether I could take it occasionally. My plan is to pump enough milk for her to eat for 24 hours after I take it, then go back to nursing after the drug is out of my system. My understanding is that Adderall doesn't build up in your system and is only there for 24 hours, so it seems like if I just didn't nurse the day I take it, it wouldn't get to the baby.

Would that work?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X