Antipsychotics and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antipsychotics and breastfeeding

Is there any information about the affects of antipsychotics on breast feeding?

Antipsychotics and breastfeeding

Dear fwestley,
    There is some limited data on the transfer of the antipsychotics into human milk. Any one in particular you want to know about?
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

is there any reasearch on lamatial or depakote?

Comment

Jemmie:

I suggest you call the InfantRisk center. There is no way we can adequately evaluate your question with such limited data. 806-352-2519

Tom Hale PH.D.

Comment

I have been unable to find information on Latuda (Lurasidone). Can you give me any info on this for a patient that is currently pregnant and would like to breastfeed?

Comment

Dear Elizabeth,

Lurasidone is an atypical antipsychotic agent used in the treatment of schizophrenia. We do not have human breastmilk studies as yet on lurasidone. The drug is known to be secreted in rat milk. The molecular weight is 529 Da. The T max is 1 to 3 hours and the T 1/2 is 18 hours. Lurasidone does have high protein binding (99 %) and low oral bioavailability (9 % to 19 %) so it is not likely to enter breastmilk in clinically relevant amounts, but until we have data caution is recommended. Lurasidone is known to cause hyperglycemia and hyperprolactinemia. Other side effects of medications in this class include dyslipidemia, orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia or bradycardia, leukopenia, neutropenia and agranulocytosis, cognitive and motor impairment. The adult dose is 40 to 80 mg once daily and should be taken with food.

Sincerely,
            Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
            TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
            X