Curcumin during pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curcumin during pregnancy

I heard that curcumin helps with rheumatoid arthritis and it has been tested on animals during pregnancy http: //turmericsgold.com/safety/is-it-safe-to-use-curcumin-during-pregnancy/. Anyone heard or experienced anything good or bad with it?

I've just done a search of the medical literature and there are no studies of curcumin or other turmeric extracts in pregnant humans. Animal models are pretty good but not perfect at predicting the safety of a product in humans, so interpret these animal studies with caution. We have no anecdotal information to share on this topic.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

There is also substantial reason to believe it is safe for women to use curcumin supplements during the second and third trimesters of their pregnancies. After the third month, one of the most important concerns is not going into labor too soon. Herbs that induce labor have to be avoided at least until the baby has reached full term.

There is no indication that taking curcumin can cause a pregnant woman to go into labor too soon. In fact, in studies of the isolated uterine tissue at the Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute in Toronto, curcumin is used to inhibit muscle contractions. Curcumin by itself will not stop labor because it only affects one of the ways the uterus is activated when the mother goes into labor, but pregnant women should, however, discontinue the use of curcumin at least a week before their due dates.

Comment

I suggest that you proceed with caution because there are no clearcut proofs that there curcumin really helps during pregnancy.

Comment

Working...
        X