Vicks Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicks Article

I have a question / clarification regarding this article in case anyone here has an answer. I have a 5 year old niece and when I baby sat for her last week. She had a cold, unfortunately, and I asked her mom if I can rub Vicks on her chest to help her. My sister-in-law, readily said yes. So, when I saw this article on parenting dot com about Vicks, I became paranoid. I know my sister-in-law gave permission, but what if I had made things worse for my niece? Anyway, this is also for future reference. So, is Vicks safe for a 5 year old or not? How much am I allowed to give her? Any info is welcome. Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your post.

The article that you referred to is clickbait. Vicks has carried a warning about use in children under 2 for quite some time. The study in Chest that they mention reinforces this warning, but also supports using this product in older children like your niece. Follow the dosing directions on the package and you should be OK.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

I've been using Vicks for a long time now and it works fine especially when I have difficulty in sleeping when I have clogged nose. However, when I used it with my daughter she developed a skin irritation so I stopped using it with her.

Comment

Thank you, James. That is very comforting.

Comment

Colds to Vicks is not bad at all. It actually help but for kids like 5 years old just a few amount of Vicks. It is also good use to massage the the back and chest part.

Comment

Working...
          X