Adderall XR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall XR

Is there any information regarding outcomes on infants/children whose mother took Adderall XR during the pregnancy? I do not know the gestation of the pregnancy or dose. Just wondering if there is any general information. I tried to do a literature search but came up with nothing. Thank you for your help!

Cheryl:

There have been a lot of studies on this in the last decades, and most have found no complications associated with normal doses of the amphetamine family during gestation. Apparently, the medical use of dextroamphetamine (Adderall) during pregnancy does not clearly pose a significant risk to the fetus for congenital anomalies. It's possible to see some mild withdrawal events postpartum, but this is not a problem.

However, high doses of illicit materias used during pregnancy is risky and could include premature delivery, intrauterine growth retardation, and fetal morbidity.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

After I posted this, I did revise my search to "prenatal exposure to amphetamines" and found 7 articles, but they did all relate to illicit use with a lack of control of dosage and co-ingestion substances. I did not, however, widen my search to dextroamphetamine and should have. Lesson learned. Thank you for your services.

Comment

Working...
      X