ADHD medications during first three months of pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADHD medications during first three months of pregnancy

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. I was diagnosed with ADHD many years ago and currently take 70mg of Vyvanse per day. My OBGYN said to avoid this medication if possible, particularly during the first trimester, but I'm not sure if this is feasible for me as I do not think I can function without it. It is safe to take a low dose of Vyvanse or Adderall during the first trimester? I have read elsewhere in this forum that Ritalin is considered a safer alternative for breastfeeding mothers than Vyvanse/Adderall, given its shorter half life. Is the same true for pregnancy? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by ens333; 07-26-2013, 05:09 PM.

Dear ens333,

Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) and dextroamphetamine (Adderall), as with any medication, should only be used in pregnancy if the potential benefit to the mother justifies the potential risk to the fetus. They are considered Class C during pregnancy. Class C includes medications show either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the fetus, and there are no controlled studies in women, or studies in women and animals are not available. Amphetamines do not apparently cause a major risk for congenital anomalies based on animal data. There are no adequate or well controlled studies in human pregnancy. Amphetamines do have the risk of neonatal abstinence syndrome such as weak cry and low muscle tone for the first 48 hours after birth, if used throughout pregnancy. Methylphenidate (Ritalin), also used for ADHD, has a few case reports in human pregnancy that reported no increased risk of birth defects although the numbers are too small to make definite conclusions. You should have a risk/benefit discussion with your healthcare provider about using these medications during pregnancy.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and have been on vyvanse 70mg for years... I have tried to not take this medication but I can't function at all... what are the risk if I stop taking this medicine before end of 1st trimester?

Comment

Katmom2514,

There are no well controlled studies in pregnant women. "Amphetamines should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. However, at this point, amphetamines do not apparently cause a major risk for congenital anomalies. Milk withdrawal symptoms have been reported, but wane quickly." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale Ph.D.) If you wean off this medication before the end of your first trimester the risks are probably low.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X