percocet and about to deliver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• percocet and about to deliver

I am 38 weeks pregnant. I was in a car accident about a year and a half ago that left my back with bulging discs and spinal stenosis from previously diagnosed degenerative disc disease. I am also a nurse and have been unemployed due to my severe pain. I was on Morphine and Vicodin for the pain, however due to my pregnancy, I was switched to just percocet. I have been on percocet now since I was 12 weeks pregnant. I am currently taking 4 doses of 5 mg oxycodone / 325 mg acetaminophen per day. It has been a very hard road and I am still constantly in pain. I am trying my best to taper before the baby comes. My question is this... If I am still on like 5 mg per day of oxycodone when the baby comes, how will that affect the baby? Also, what is the standard protocol for babies that do display signs of withdrawal? Lastly, what kind of studies have been done on babies brains and their neurological development that have been exposed to pain medication while in the womb? Thank you.

Dear winterflute,

You should discuss your medications with your pediatrician prior to delivery. He/she will monitor your infant's condition after delivery. Because oxycodone is a narcotic, there is a possibility for withdrawal symptoms in your infant. Breastfeeding may help with some of the withdrawal symptoms, if present. Oxycodone is usually compatible with breastfeeding but depends on many factors such as dosage, age of the infant etc. After delivery, call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 for specific information on your particular medications. There does not appear to be long term, adequate, or well-controlled studies on the neurological development of infants exposed to oxycodone during pregnancy. Your pediatrician will monitor your infant's developmental milestones regularly.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X