Narcotics while trying to get pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narcotics while trying to get pregnant

In the past I've had 7 surgeries including a total colectomty, with an colostomy bag, and the reversal. I'm now living with an internal
    jPouch. I've had several issues in the last year and was revered to pain management about a year ago. I've since been on a 20 mg dose of oxycodone every 4 hours as needed. I was also taking Nycunta. My husband and I have decided to try to have a baby. I told this to my doctor as I am obviously nervous because of the medications. Since then he has taken me off NUcyta because of the risks with pregnancy. However he says that the oxycodone is obviously not without risks but safer. Is this true, and is there any advice as to another option for pain management. I would rather be in agony then harm a potential child. really I'm just looking for any information or advice. I've been taking narcotics in general for 9 years. Along with 7 surgeries in between. I really want to have a baby, but I'm very scared as well. Any suggestions?

Lauren689, thanks for posting,

Oxycodone has shown no increased malformation risk in small numbers. Reproduction studies in Sprague-Dawley rats and New Zealand rabbits revealed that when oxycodone was administered orally at doses up to 16 mg/kg (approximately 2 times the daily oral dose of 90 mg for adults on a mg/m2 basis) and 25 mg/kg (approximately 5 times the daily oral dose of 90 mg on a mg/m2 basis), respectively, it was not teratogenic or embryo-fetal toxic.

Human studies are either unavailable or have failed to show that the use of this drug by pregnant women is harmful to the fetus. Neonates whose mothers have taken oxycodone chronically may exhibit respiratory depression and/or withdrawal symptoms, either at birth and/or in the nursery. Neonates, whose mothers received opioid analgesics during labor, should be observed closely for signs of respiratory depression. A specific narcotic antagonist, naloxone, should be available for reversal of narcotic-induced respiratory depression in the neonate. Remember that 1-3% of all pregnancies can result in a birth defect due to chance alone.

We advise you always speak with your OB about any medications you are taking.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X